Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sipping Coffee and Gathering my Thoughts

I don't know what it is about actually getting my thoughts written down that causes me to freeze. I sat down at the computer to write this and had so many ideas of what to write. I then spent about ten minutes of staring at a blank screen wondering what to put down. I finally decided to have my coffee and congeal on the matter. Coffee is a very special thing for me, as it is for many. At work, it's a necessity. Probably due to the fact that I am smoker and I spend 14 hours at work without a smoke break and caffeine works on the same receptor as nicotine...so, it keeps me from killing people. Truthfully, at work it doesn't even matter what kind of coffee or where it comes from, I will drink it in large quantities. At home it is a very different matter. I enjoy the taste and warm caffeinie goodness of a fresh cup of coffee. Although there are those that would argue that since I like flavored coffees and creamers that I really don't drink coffee at all at home. Let them think what they want. At home I like to be at least somewhat awake when I drink my coffee. In fact, many times I am fully awake by the time I make it. I usually realize that I haven't had coffee while on the phone with my mother in the morning and she's getting her second cup. Weekday mornings always start with a phone call to mom to see what she's up to. I really have to call to find out because although the woman is retired I have a hard time keeping up with what she's doing and where she's going next. My mother is a traveller. She takes trips all around the world seeing new places and exploring different countries. It also helps that one of her close friends is a travel agent. While she is home she participates in 2 to 3 intrumental bands, she plays clarinet. So, there are rehearsals and concerts and all sorts of other musical engagements. So, it's really like a morning coffee date with mom, catching up and keeping current with each other. Funny how it happens because at about the time the coffee is drunk we are wrapping up our conversation. The weekends are different. If I have coffee on my weekends off I don't have any until the afternoon (sometimes not at all). It must have something to do with not chatting with my mother on the weekends. She is far to hard to get a hold of at any set time then. Besides on the weekends I have to worry whether or not she is on the phone with my sister or brother then and I don't want to intrude on their time with her. See, the coffee worked. I've completed my post. So, here's to you "Coffee"!

1 comment:

  1. Anyone who knows where to find all my various personae online will notice one continuing theme ~ there is coffee in each place. It's the only link. So a toast ~ to coffee. Our friend.

    ReplyDelete